Friday, April 09, 2010

Carpe Diem

Overcast and low 50s... Not such a promising day, but I wanted to practice casting so I headed for the Institute pond in Princeton.

One smallish sunfish hit my black wooley bugger as kind of an afterthought. Then a walker stopped me to ask a question: "What is that big fish doing on the other side of the pond?"

It was a grass carp acting very uncarplike and agitated, possibly feeding. It let me put several casts near it without spooking, which is not at all typical.  Though it totally ignored my fly, which at this stage was an unweighted muddler that floated more than sank.

It then swam under my fly, which is truly uncarplike, and after another strip I found myself with a 20 lbs carp hooked on its dorsal fin.

With an 8 wt rod, 10 lbs test, this turned out to be an easier match than I expected, as I rolled him over and disoriented him pretty well.  Perhaps, too, he wasn't right from the beginning.

In any event I had him under control within a few minutes, though not well enough to remove my fly, which broke off and remains stuck in his dorsal fin.

Truly odd.

No comments: