Sunday, April 18, 2010

A Lovely Day Out

One of the things I love about my favorite NJ wild trout stream (besides is proximity to Trenton) is the walk in.  Now, you can wimp out and park in another lot which is effectively at the top of this hill (and only walk down ti the stream).  But I often have a dual agenda of wanting to get some exercise when I go fishing.  So I park in this lot...

While it's not completely obvious looking at this photo, note that it's about a 250 vertical foot, VERY steep hike to the top of this ridge, and then then another 20 minutes or so, mostly down, to the stream.

It was a cool, gray day most of Saturday.  High 50s.   I didn't see any hatches coming off at first, then perhaps some Hendricksons later, but no natural rises.  Water was high but clear.

Took advantage of the high water to fish structures I rarely fish, including some long, deep, usually very still pools.  They hold some very nice fish, but it's usually almost impossible to catch anything there because the fish have fantastic vision and are very spooky.  You inevitably spook some fish at the tail, who rush up and make everything shut down.  But a little turbulence goes a long way to make it more fishable.  Had great fun double hauling my little 7'4" Sage SPL 4 wt, to cover the water.

I was fishing a tiny, beadhead flashback pheasant tail.  Picked up 3 or so nice sized trout (i.e. 8-9"), and 8 or 10 juniors.  All browns, which is rare of this stream, where I usually catch 4 or 5 'bow to one brown.  But not today.  Also a Chub in spawning colors, which was actually a very pretty fish. 

I spooked one huge fish in the long run, after fishing his area and moving up.  Got a good look at him as he sped past me upstream (I was on a high bank).  Must have been an honest 14 or 15" trout, which is an absolute giant on this stream.  Also had a good sized fish hit my strike indicator, it had landed near his head, so he seem to strike out of annoyance.  Unfortunately, no hook.  I didn't get a good look, but it was a very nice fish.

Oh well.  Had to cut off early to make a social obligation back in Trenton.  Really only about 90 minutes of fishing.

A lovely day out. 

No comments: